In the Paréa Civic Action Center, civil society actors come together in their support for people on the move. Located within walking distance from Kara Tepe refugee camp on Lesvos, the centre offers a welcoming environment, where residents of the camp, locals, and international people can meet freely to spend time in a peaceful environment.
Europe Cares is responsible for security, cleaning, construction and maintenance work in the centre that hosts other 10 partner organisations offering a wide range of services (medical services & psycho-social support, distributions, educational offers, recreational activities & sports, legal support). Moreover, apart from keeping the Paréa centre safe and clean, from Monday to Friday, Europe Cares team welcomes visitors with free drinks and lunch at the café, and engages them in the Women Space with beauty and relaxation sessions, and the Paréa Club with a wide range of games and sports. Finally, our team organises community events involving music, dances, sports and a lot of food from all over the world for 500+ visitors.
The word ‘paréa’ in Greek means “company, circle of friends”: everyone is welcome in Paréa! Everyone is free to relax, play, participate and be part of the community.
Where is it?
Lesvos, Greece within walking distance from Kara Tepe refugee camp
What will I be doing?
Our volunteers can join the following teams:
- Café team: serving drinks and lunch to our visitors;
- Women Space team: organising spa days and relaxation sessions for girls and women only in our Women Space;
- Paréa Club team: playing board games and video games, organising sport tournament, and music & dance nights for teenagers and adults;
- Social Media team: promoting our activities and project on Social Media and in the centre;
- Maintenance & construction team: supporting with maintenance and construction work around the centre, as well as painting;
- Supporting the coordination team in organising and running monthly community events for 500+ visitors.
What impact would I have?
Depending on the length of their stay, volunteers can help develop our activities and overall project, and contribute with their own skills and ideas.
Who will I be working with?
Our target group is mostly made of residents of Kara Tepe camp and people from the refugee community. However, our centre is open to locals and internationals as well, and populated by 10 other NGOs with their own volunteers and staff.
As for our team, we have a combination of community volunteers from a refugee background, and internationals. Finally, there are coordinators who are here to support the volunteers and maintain the project longer-term.
Accommodation is not provided; however, we support our volunteers by putting them in contact with trustworthy landlords. The cost of a room in a shared accommodation can vary between 200-250 EUR; as for a studio flat the cost can vary between 200-300 EUR.
We provide our volunteers with breakfast and lunch from Monday to Friday.
- Activity Lead
- Arts, Music & Textlies
- Car Driver
- Construction and Renovation
- Engineering / Technical
- Environment & Animal Conservation
- Environment Conservation
- Manual Work / Labourer
- Marketing & PR
- No Specific Skill
- Social Media
- Sport Coach
- Women’s Activity Lead
- Women’s Empowerment
- Youth & Sports Activities
Interested in volunteering?